Spray tanning is a form of self tanning (or sunless tanning) where a fine mist is sprayed onto your body.
This temporary effect generally lasts from 3-7 days and is completely safe for your skin (although it doesn’t provide any protection against the sun’s rays).
The results you can get from tanning sprays are generally very good. Many celebrities and models prefer spray tanning to just about anything else to get the colour they want.
How To Prepare For Your Spray Tanning Session
Before you go for your spray tan you’ll need to do the following:
1. Make sure you shave or wax before your appointment.
A lot of people say to do it a day or two before (so your pores close).
2. Be sure to exfoliate your skin the day before your appointment.
Based on the way self tanners work, it’s important to exfoliate off as much dead and dry skin as possible before applying any self tanner or tanning spray.
3. Remove moisturizers, makeup and deodorant before you spray tan.
These products contain ingredients like oils that can make it hard for the main ingredient in self tanning spray to bind to your skin. This could cause your spray tan to look streaky and blotchy.
4. Right before application, we will apply a little vaseline or moisturizer on your knees, ankles, elbows, and palms. We will also a fine net cap to put on to stop your hair getting tan on. Please put some lip balm on your lips.
These are areas that can get a little darker, than the rest of your skin. Protecting these areas from absorbing too much DHA is generally a good idea. We may also wipe those areas down a bit after the spray tan is applied.
5. Try to keep the spray tan solution on overnight and don’t put on any moisturizer until the next day.
That means no showering, using soap, or any moisturizer for at least 8 hours. You could opt for less time than that, but you won’t get the best results if you do. The colour starts to develop within an hour or two and really kicks in within 3-5 hours.
Having a cosmetic tan involves taking some of the same preparation as a spray tan but when you come for a cosmetic tan the therapist will exfoliate your skin also.
The cosmetic tan is gently smoothed into your skin, using gentle massage like movements. It is a very relaxing procedure.
Again, you are advised not to shower etc as with a spray tan.
A cosmetic tan will last a few more days than a spray tan.
Please ensure that you wear dark clothing as with both a spray tan and a cosmetic tan, some colour may rub off onto your clothing when you re dress.