What is an Aromatherapy massage and why would you have one?
Aromatherapy is a term that encompasses many forms of treatment.
Aromatherapy uses the purest plant essence in the form of an organic essential oils, which are extracts from various parts of plants, fruits, flowers, bark, roots, or resin depending on the plant. Essential oils contain many powerful natural chemicals that have beneficial properties.
Due to the diversity of essential oils and their individual therapeutic properties, the range of benefits and effects of Aromatherapy is wide ranging.
Aromatherapists will have a holistic approach to client consultation. This information is necessary to select the appropriate essential oils for the maximum therapeutic benefit.
The selected essential oils are blended with a carrier oil or base massage cream to create a bespoke mix for each client’s individual needs.
This Aromatherapy blend is usually applied to the skin with traditional body massage. Other massage techniques such as deep tissue work may also be used, depending on the Aromatherapist’s practice and the client’s requirement.
The blend could also be used in an oil burner or as a bath soak, again depending on the clients requirements.
Benefits and Effects
Aromatherapy treatments have both physiological and psychological effects. The combination of massage and the medicinal and therapeutic qualities of the essential oils,inhaled, aroma and absorbed through the skin can soothe, revitalise, uplift the spirit, encourage positive thinking and boost the immune system enabling the body to heal itself
Aromatherapy massage can: Physiological Benefits:
- enhance lymphatic drainage, this helps to reduce fluid retention and prevent oedema
- induce a feeling of deep relaxation in the body
- help to restore balance in the body
- stimulate the body’s natural immune system
- increase the oxygen and nutrient supply to the tissues by increasing the blood circulation
- help to increase energy levels as blockages and congestion in the nerves are eased
Aromatherapy massage can, Psychological Benefits:
- promote a general state of well-being
- calm and soothe the mind
- help to reduce nervous stress
- help to lift the mood and reduce feelings of depression
A full body aromatherapy treatment lasts an hour, not including the time taken for a full consultation. Blends used during the treatment are not made until after the consultation and when the client is happy with the aroma.